Friday 13 May 2016

Fears- 'Before being a film maker'

Fears-  'Before being a film maker'
Fears are a very common and a natural human tendency. It can be anything, just like fear of losing everything you have, fear of darkness, and even fear of heights. Well, this particular topic is mostly in my point of view, so I will give you just a synopsis. A film maker has many fears before, and even after releasing his film. But let me start talking about the fear ‘Before being a film maker’. Well, going to a film school is a wonderful feeling, as somewhere you have already walked into the dreams which you want to accomplish. But just the 'baby steps' have been taken place. For all of us who are learning film making there is one very common fear which we all have is ‘How will we step into the industry?’ This question is almost every day into our minds; while eating, studying or even sometimes while even sleeping. Sometimes I have sleepless nights thinking about how I will step inside the gate of the film industry. Before I used to write blogs I spent all my time either just in writing stories, or just figuring out how to make short films out of it. But, the answer to this is just ‘our work’ will take us somewhere. It is tough trust me.

Another fear in a writer’s point of view is the fear of ‘losing your creative skills’ or we can also say having a 'writer's block'. Let me consider myself in this. Sometimes in a month it takes me to complete four stories. And sometimes hardly just one is completed. This is just because I personally get insecure that what will the result turn out to be; good or bad. Sometimes I also get insecure related to the blogs which I post; the fear of losing my audience. The solution to this one is to keep your mind set as that ‘not everyone can love your work’. This is a big disadvantage in this field. Maybe one person might like your story, but the other cannot. But we have to walk with the facts as well right. As a director while making a film, and thinking about the review from the audience will haunt you until and unless it will release on the big screen. ‘The struggles’ which we all have to go through is another very scary thing which is considered. Without any contacts it is tough to go to that platform, but not impossible. As I had said in my previous post it all depends on your time also as well. The ‘Emotional stress’ also is another thing which ought to be scared of. If we work as an assistant director for the first time, and we see our director which will be our ‘boss’ at that time very cruel, and harsh learning to control the emotions at that moment is tough. But later on when we see the industry it will be a very common thing as well.
‘Rejection’ is also a fear which is considered, especially by the actors. There are so many people around us who wants to be an actor, but only one will be chosen for the lead role and this fear also leads to ‘nervousness’ which might affect the performance as well. But the solution is to just ‘stick to the character’ that is what best an actor can do as well. If we consider ourselves different from the crowd there will be no harm until and unless you are motivating yourself.  We also have to learn to be prepared for every situation as you never know what will happen. Sometimes things do not go according to the schedule, so it might mess up the further upcoming shoots (this happens it very rare cases) so you should be smart enough to manage that as well. This particular thing scares me sometimes as well. ‘Survival’ is one of the most insecure feelings almost every film maker will have, especially the people who are new to the industry. Whenever I think of making different kinds of film in the future, this fear always strikes me. Maybe at start I might have films which will be successful, but what will happen after that?

 There are so many incidences which happen just like people disappearing from the industry or losing their fame. These are some kind of fears which a person has before stepping into the film industry. But it is does not mean that it is not possible for achieving what you want. Overcoming them, and achieving what you wanted to do will surely be one of the best feelings as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment